Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Bolt-On Tundra Brake Upgrade for 96-02 4Runners

Re: Bolt-On Tundra Brake Upgrade for 96-02 4Runners

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz
    well last week i found a leak on my left caliper, coming from where the two halves meet at the top. noticed a nice puddle in my wheel... glad i caught it when i did.

took it off, had napa replace it, when i got the replacement tuesday, correct part number, correct box, caliper was stamped with a big R, DAMN. so they reordered, came in today, same thing, so they called around and for sure got me one, hopefully its right.

the leaky caliper would definitely explain the less than stellar pedal feel and the slight pulling to the right. it will all be fixed friday afternoon/evening.
    Wow, good thing you caught that!
    I am almost positive it will fix your issues.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

RE-PROPORTIONING???

Either I messed up the bleeding, or the rears feel like they don't do much anymore.

Stepping on the brakes, the front takes quite a dip now, and when the stop is complete, the front jumps back up to normal. Is this routine after this brake upgrade? Or did I miss something.

Someone I know had mentioned that I should get the proportioning valve adjusted, with the larger pistons (more volume of fluid) in the front, it will need to be adjusted.

BTW, Jamie, based on your signature, I got the auterra too. I LOVE it. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by 4RunAmok
    RE-PROPORTIONING???

Either I messed up the bleeding, or the rears feel like they don't do much anymore.

Stepping on the brakes, the front takes quite a dip now, and when the stop is complete, the front jumps back up to normal. Is this routine after this brake upgrade? Or did I miss something.

Someone I know had mentioned that I should get the proportioning valve adjusted, with the larger pistons (more volume of fluid) in the front, it will need to be adjusted.

BTW, Jamie, based on your signature, I got the auterra too. I LOVE it. Thanks!
    Glad you like the Auterra.

Something is not right if the front is diving as much as you say.
    Are the rears properly adjusted? How many clicks to engage the e-brake?

A porportioning valve should not be required for the mod.
    ......only if you swap over to rear disc brakes (not recommended).
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

i second adjusting the rears. mine dips but not that bad. im also kind of easy on the brakes though.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

4RunAmok, how many days has it been since you did the upgrade? Was it recent or has the issue you're having been going on for a while?

My pedal was a little soft too the first couple days after the mod was completed, but since then, the pedal has a nice tight feel to it.
    2002 4Runner Sport 4WD
    My 4Runner Profile: Click Me

It's been awhile now. At least 2 months.

I just upgraded the suspension this last weekend. I put King coil-overs in the front, and it still does the dipping thing if I get on the brakes good. I've already had the dealer adjust the brakes and re-bleed them. They took that as FLUSH brake fluid when my g/f tried to explain that I wanted the brakes bled. Massive upgrade cost there.

It helped, but not much the e-brake feels better, but no long-lasting effect to stop the front from dipping.

I think I'm going to have the re-proportioning done, at least have it checked.

I am curious how much can you gring off the calipers?
    The Micky Thompson Classic II Rims with 4-7/16 back spacing just touch my current calipers.
    (not mounted just was test fitted, and when the rubbing was found, there were nw words from my mouth that even my best friends hasn't heard out of it....)

I would like to save money in the long run and not have to sell these rims and buy others.
    So an idea of how much I could take off would be a great help!

other than that clearence is great on those MTs....

I just did this last night. Because I have PC'd LC wheels, I had to take off a fair amount. Probably a .25" off the rib boss and somewhere around an .125" from the back of the piston housing (Raybestos reman S13WE calipers).

-Scott<br />&#039;01 Black SR5 4x4 w/ Black Pearl&#039;s: Detroit Truetrac | Tundra/OME 890s w/ Tokico Trekmasters | SS Diff Drop/Panhard | Tundra rotors/calipers | Rear Diff Breather Extension | Hayden cooler | K&amp;N | ISR | Deckplate | Jet Black PC&#039;d LC 16x8&#039;s w/ LT265/75R16 Cooper S/T&#039;s

i probably did the same.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

So that's how much you took off, my question is, is that the max or can you take off more?

Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast