Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Bolt-On Tundra Brake Upgrade for 96-02 4Runners

Re: Bolt-On Tundra Brake Upgrade for 96-02 4Runners

I'd consider MTL's comments close to gospel:
    http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.ph...33849#msg33849

Now that I've done it, I have to agree. Much more than an 1/8" on the back of the piston housing and I'd be concerned of weakening/leaking.
    -Scott<br />&#039;01 Black SR5 4x4 w/ Black Pearl&#039;s: Detroit Truetrac | Tundra/OME 890s w/ Tokico Trekmasters | SS Diff Drop/Panhard | Tundra rotors/calipers | Rear Diff Breather Extension | Hayden cooler | K&amp;N | ISR | Deckplate | Jet Black PC&#039;d LC 16x8&#039;s w/ LT265/75R16 Cooper S/T&#039;s

I really should clarify my postings more cause that was the exact answer i was looking for Hillbilly.

Thanks!

Have read the entire thread and great info by the way. As I searched for the calipers, there are a few brands available. So my question is "Which brands are people leaning towards more?" Fenco or Beck Arnley?

Jumped on the Tundra brake upgrade. Found used original 2001 Tundra calipers ($150.00 for both) and bought the caliper rebuild kit from my dealer for $10 which is is for both sides. Ordered the slotted Brembo rotors and Hawk LTS pads. The only thing left is the brake lines.

Calipers: $165.00 (shipping included)
    Rotors and Pads: $240.00
    Caliper Rebuild kit: $10.00

Total: $415.00

I was thinking of getting the remanf. calipers from my local auto parts but opted for Original parts.

out of that total, subtract the cost of rotors and pads, since you probably needed new ones anyway, esp since the stock rotors warp like LP's in an oven.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz
    esp since the stock rotors warp like LP's in an oven.
    .....good analogy.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

don't forget that you can put the rims on, spin them around so that they contact the caliper, in effect marking where you can clearance the wheels just a tad along w/ clearancing the caliper ribs...
    -andy

Now I was thinking about this today going down the road
    (kinda hit my like when that dodge hit Tess)

For those of you with the LC rims that had to shave a little off after the Swap,
    I presume with the normal Runner Calipers you didn't need to shave.

If so then the Tundra calipers would be bigger on the outside then the 4Runner ones correct?
    Not just the inner void.

Quote Originally Posted by YotaFun
    For those of you with the LC rims that had to shave a little off after the Swap,
    I presume with the normal Runner Calipers you didn't need to shave.
    Correct. I've run LC wheels for about a year with stock calipers and had no clearance issues.

Quote Originally Posted by YotaFun
    If so then the Tundra calipers would be bigger on the outside then the 4Runner ones correct? Not just the inner void.
    I installed the Tundra rotors/calipers last Sunday evening and ran into caliper clearance problems when I test fitted the LC wheels. It was tight enough the LCs wouldn't even spin. (Mine are probably a bit tighter than most since my LCs have been PC'd.) So, I had to grind ~1/4" off the upper rib boss and ~1/8" off the inside corner of piston housing.

FYI: I used Raybestos reman'd calipers (RC11039/40). Not sure if other brands may fit better or worse.
    -Scott<br />&#039;01 Black SR5 4x4 w/ Black Pearl&#039;s: Detroit Truetrac | Tundra/OME 890s w/ Tokico Trekmasters | SS Diff Drop/Panhard | Tundra rotors/calipers | Rear Diff Breather Extension | Hayden cooler | K&amp;N | ISR | Deckplate | Jet Black PC&#039;d LC 16x8&#039;s w/ LT265/75R16 Cooper S/T&#039;s

Using factory tundra calipers (199mm) and a set of 94-97 Land cruiser rims I also had to do some triming today to make the rims work. Using a 60 grit flap disc it took under 5 min per side to reduce/slim down the upper rib. Then area around the piston got smoothed out.

Luckily I had a spare unmounted 5th rim to do the test fitting with.
    Diamond HP8 SAS / FROR Full Float Rear / DIY F&amp;R bumper / Nitto 285s / Gen1 SC (in progress)

Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast