Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1422232425 LastLast

Thread: Bolt-On Tundra Brake Upgrade for 96-02 4Runners

Re: Bolt-On Tundra Brake Upgrade for 96-02 4Runners

I'm pretty sure Eddie is right here...it's the rotor more-so then the pads. With my original 4Runner calipers, I used- Hawk HPS, Hawk Superduty, and OEM pads. After about 3,000 to 4,000 miles of NYC heavy stop and go, my rotors would warp, end of story.

I switched to the Tundra S13WE (199mm) calipers and Tundra rotors two winters ago. I have had zero problems since, towing or heavy traffic.
    '96 SR5 5VZ-FE. 89k . 265/75/16 REVO 2s. Sonoran Steel 1.2, HID projector retrofit, Lightforce 170s.

I did the 199mm Tundra caliper (AdvanceAuto Cardone loaded, believe ) and new Brembo rotors (Tirerack) two years ago. The judder is back after about 24K miles - severe when towing a trailer in mountains, not so bad around town without trailer.

I was wondering if any suggestions? My plan is to grind (or replace) rotors and use Toyota pads.

Let off the brake a little....?

Lol just playing.
    Thats interesting, I have gone roughly the same amount of miles with my Tundra calipers as well, Only cut the rotors once cause the pads worse away, and still no vibe issue.

Possible a caliper is sticking and causing excessive heat and the rotor to warp?
    I couldn't really tell without looking at it, but a suggestion to look out for.

If the calipers are good, cut the rotors and get some nice pads and see how it goes from there

I had my wheels off a few months back and noticed the driver side not spinning as freely as the pass. I immediately though the hubs were acting up, nope perhaps the locker, nope, hmmm the brake caliper? Yes as a matter of fact I noticed a bit of a shimmy the last few days, SO I pulled it and found a wet spot where 1 piston was seeping fluid and causing the pad to stick causing massive heat build up and uneven pad wear. I caliper was under warranty through Advanced Auto Parts, and since they didn't have the loaded calipers I got money back.

A
    I can, because I don't know that I can't.

Remember that the 213mm were issued because 199mm had vibration issues on the Tundra too. I'm not pointing fingers, just pointing it out.

If someone wants to go hog wild, try some 13WH calipers. They have even bigger rotors and come on the 17" wheel equiped 120s (FJC, 034R, GX). Supposedly people have squeezed them behind 16" wheels with some more grinding.

Yeah but the 213mm was just due because they where to small for the Tundra, but the 199mm are more the adequate for the 4Runner.

I have the 213mm and am happy, but I am sure I would be just as happy as if I had the 199mm

Quote Originally Posted by Flexus
    If someone wants to go hog wild, try some 13WH calipers.
    I assume you meant the 13WL calipers.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

The 13WH is on the 4th gen SE and those with 17" wheels, as well as on the GX470. the rotors for the 13WH caliper is 238mm diameter compared to the 13WL and 13WG 219mm diameter. the thickness of both rotors is the same, 28 mm. the pads are also the same. With a bigger diameter rotor, you got a bigger brake torque
    Desert Dune Toyota Hilux Surf KZN185W SSR-G l 3.0L TDI<br />&quot;DRIVE YOUR DREAMS&quot;

I just bought the S13WE calipers gor my '98 4R, I'm getting the rotors this week, did you guys buy the new Tundra lugs since the Tundra bolts are 14.4mm and the stock 4R bolts are 14.6, not sure why the bigger rotors would have smaller lugs/bolts?
    98 SR5 V6 T4R 4x4

The Tundra rotors fit just fine over my lugs, beats me there bud

Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1422232425 LastLast