Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of using tow hitch as an air tank.

Thinking of using tow hitch as an air tank.

On my 2000 I have the newer style of factory hitch where there is a square tube welded to the brackets on each end and the actual hitch hangs down below. You can kinda see it in this picture.

[img width=800 height=538]http://www.blankwhitepage.com/gallery/albums/t4r_pardoes_20100918/IMG_1072.jpg[/img]

The tube is approx 3" square and 38" long, and as far as I can tell it is welded shut on both ends. Assuming the metal is at max 1/4" thick that means the internal volume is at least 1 gallon. I'm considering tapping some holes and using it as a tank. My two concerns are if the holes will make it less strong, or if I'm just asking for it to rust out. I would definitely shoot some paint inside and use an air/water separator to minimize the amount of moisture that is introduced.

Anybody have any reason why this is a dumb idea?

- Matt
    2000 4Runner Sport / 4x4 / 5spd / E-locker / SS 1.2 / 265x75x16 Bighorns / ARB Prado / HD-SKO

Re: Thinking of using tow hitch as an air tank.

It just sounds like more work then it's worth. One gallon won't really help airing up, but I guess if you have a need for air tools it could be useful.

Your holes will be pretty small so I don't think it'll harm the integrity much. Usually things break from fatigue and I don't think you tow enough to have to worry about it. The optimal place to drill your holes will be through the mounting brackets on the ends of the tube.

I say go for it.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

I'm with Patrick. That small thing just won't have much volume.

But if your itching for a rainy day project.. Who am I to stop you..
    Have fun!
    99 Taco 2.7/ It&#39;s got stuff<br /><br />[quote author=troyboy162 link=topic=8256.msg78136#msg78136 date=1255335181]Toyota never built a rock brawlin/pimp mobile...you have strayed from the intended use&nbsp; <br />[/quote]

Quote Originally Posted by Scuba
    I'm with Patrick. That small thing just won't have much volume.

But if your itching for a rainy day project.. Who am I to stop you..
    Have fun!
    Scuba, I agree that it won't do much to help out with airing up the tires. But, I figure if I can get this working for $20 or so it's worth it for the ability to use air tools and for the small amount of time it saves when airing up.

- Matt
    2000 4Runner Sport / 4x4 / 5spd / E-locker / SS 1.2 / 265x75x16 Bighorns / ARB Prado / HD-SKO

Like it's been said go through the brackets. I think this could be done very easily and you'd benefit. My system only uses a 1/2 gallon tank but at idle it's the difference between being able to use an air gun to blow off or not. At about 1000 rpm I can run air tools.

For you and your MV-50 it'll give you a little reserve that will allow you to use that air gun with better results. After you drill your holes I'd shoot something in there that will coat the inside. There is a good product guys use on the beds of their lathes but I forget what it is called but I do remember it's got an aqua colored label. Go for it and post pics.

I'm gonna have to say nay. the biggest concern would be the need for a drain cock on there (yes, I said cock). I looked in to using my rock sliders in the same fashion, and it looked like more hassle than it was worth. Plus yes, you'll run the risk of it rusting from the inside out, even though you plan to paint it, I'd still be worried.

I'd type more but I'm exhausted
    2012 Tacoma 4x4 6spd TRD, e-locker, LT265/75R16E Michelin LTX A/T2s, Stubbs HD-SKOs
    2003 Taco-was K.I.A. 4/31/12-RIP

If you're concerned use this: http://www.treefortbikes.com/product...r-Aerosol.html

If you're really concerned use it twice a year. A filter isn't going to get rid of all the water in the air. It's hot coming out of the compressor and will be warm in the tank. When it cools the moisture will form. To really cut down on the moisture don't store air in the tank and drain when you're done using the air. I do this with my home compressor and everything stays dry enough that my filters aren't really used.

Quote Originally Posted by slomatt
    Scuba, I agree that it won't do much to help out with airing up the tires. But, I figure if I can get this working for $20 or so it's worth it for the ability to use air tools and for the small amount of time it saves when airing up.

- Matt
    It's been a while since I've done the math, but if I remember correctly a one gallon air tank, even at 100PSI won't save you much time airing up, maybe a minute or less. My other question is if there is a way to paint the inside of the tube without having to cut it up and reweld it?

My other question is if there is a way to paint the inside of the tube without having to cut it up and reweld it?
    Hence the reason for the frame saver. You can spray it in and you're good to go. Cutting and rewelding won't solve anything since the rewelding will cook off all the paint in the weld zone.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast