Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 3.4l engine issue/question

Re: 3.4l engine issue/questionEarli

http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.ph...18182#msg18182

does that sound familiar? plugs and wires fixed it i guess. its never happened since.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Sounds very familiar... getting worse by the day. If this gas treatment doesn't do the trick in the next day or two I guess I'll start looking into checking the plugs... that I don't have money for.

the plugs arent that expensive, IIRC they were about 3 dollars a piece from the dealer, and come correctly gapped. just make sure they are either desno or ngk dual electrode. dont need anything fancy at all.

for wires, i went with the ngk set from sparkplugs.com. when i bought them over 3 years ago, they were $35. not sure what they are now. maybe a set from autozone would do?

yeah i know 80 bucks is alot to drop on it, hopefully that fixes the issue.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Navigator

damn i wish that stuff was the cheap for my bmw! >.< i just bought plugs for 2.66 plus shipping online (came to about $25), and the wires off ebay for $75... from the local O'reileys it was gonna be 5.99 per plug and $114 for the wires, and thats for Bosch crap! (i bough NGK plugs and wires :thumbup)
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

Yeah... I've got a few things I could throw on eBay and get enough to buy the parts. I've never changed plugs/wires.. but it seems to be rather simple/straight forward.. I just wish this had happened two weeks ago when the weather was still 60-70.. and not snowing / high in the lower 30s like it is as of a few days ago! Oh well, lol.

Maybe I'll give the dealer a call tomorrow and see what they're charging for plugs / wires. AutoZone has a wire set for $35.99 which I guess isn't that bad. I'll still look at a few places online first. They also want 6.99$/each for plugs (Autolite brand), but I'd rather just get factory plugs.. Denso or NGK.

Re: 3.4l engine issue/question

IMHO, denso or ngk plugs are a must, anything else and the job isnt worth doing, especially from everything i have ever read on the subject. to me, plug wires are plug wires... this isnt some super fancy double spark ignition. the dealer will want a couple hundred.

Do stick with Denso, we had a 4Runner come in with a bad mis, they had Autolite plugs and Bosch wires.....

Plugs are usually around $25-30 from the dealer, wires around $75

I'm pretty confident I'll be buying the plugs from the dealers.. I found a set of NGK TE-66 wires on Amazon for $26.99, or the Denso (#671-6182) for $23.71 (on sale, usually 29.99).

Over the past few months the 4Runner hasn't started like it used to.. I kinda though maybe the plugs were getting old. I guess now I'll find out if the Runner starts up like it used to when I bought it a few years ago.

Well, the light came on today on the way to class, and stayed on. Tomorrow I'll def. be going back to AutoZone.

in all the years i've read about these types of issues, stick with stock plugs and wires. i can't give you a technical reason, only 9 years of anecdotal success stories.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast