Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1 day to convince me on tires..

1 day to convince me on tires..

OK.

I got my wheels and other stuff finally lined up and I want opinions here.

I love the BFG TA-KO's for everything but loose stuff..dirt or sand. I noticed a lot here are now using KM2's instead. The clincher is this..with the car wrecked the 4Runner is again my daily driver and I commute 70 miles round trip on the freeways of the S.F. Bay Area. Either way mileage will suffer a little, but how do the KM2's hold up for daily driving?

*No, I'm not going for the 12.5's yet, that would mean I have to also pop for flares as the CHP out here loves them fines.

I like keeping it relatively simple, so here goes..TA-KO's versus KM2's. Which one and why? *We'll throw on a set of 12.5's just for the sake of a look-see.

Re: 1 day to convince me on tires..

I have no experience with the KM2's but have owned 2 sets of the KO's. Each set lasted close to 50,000 miles and a lot of abuse. When I say abuse I mean peeling out with a heavy vehicle on snow, ice, rocks, dirt, sand, etc. Also sharp rocks and other trail obstacles. The sidewalls took a lot of damage and the tires survived. After about 35,000 miles both sets got a little louder than new but no too loud but this was on a pick up and I think my 4Runner is quieter all around. In the time owning them I never wish I had another tire. People grip about their performance in the mud but they aren't a mud tire and when I got suck in the mud I'm sure I'd still be stuck if I had a mud tire. The tires were mostly used for daily driving and I liked them. I hit stuff on the road and I think only once a nail sent me to the shop. I never had a problem with rain either, I guess people say they are a crappy rain tire. I ran 285/75/16's if it makes any difference.

i second what mike said. i love mine and will be buying a second set. they are great in the rain, the ice, not so much, and yeah mud holds them back, but it will any AT tire, and depending on the mud, even MTs are not going to cut it.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Navigator

NorCal - any particular reason you are looking exclusively at BFG? I personally have (and love) some GoodYears.

Looking at only the 2 BFGs, unless u plan to do heavy wheeling and crawling, there really isnt a good reason to go KM2's.. They are significantly better off-road, but if that is <10% of your use of the vehicle, the KOs will probably serve you better.
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

I personally will never own a set of KO's again....they are a decent tire for the 1st half of the tread life, but then they harden up and traction sucks everywhere...even on the street.

I have also been looking for a good dirt/street tire and the Hankook dynapro atm rf10
    has caught my eye.
    1995 4runner--SAS'd and armored--GONE

1998 4Runner--under construction--GONE

2003 4runner...the new project

I had a set of KO's, I disliked the wet and snow traction they had. They have very small voids and fill up way to easy in mud, snow and rain it seems.

My vote is the nitto terra grappler or the general grabber AT 2. I also heard the dick cepek fun countrys are awesome.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

After running five consecutive pairs of Bridgestone Dueler ATs I decided to try something different and went with the BFG ATs. All around they have performed very well, the only downside I have noticed so far is the increased noise over the Duelers. I really like the rim protector feature--my rims would be in much worse shape without them. The thick sidewalls give me a high level of confidence when I'm out in the middle of nowhere like Death Valley. I have 37,000 miles on them now and they appear to be about half worn, so it remains to be seen if they will harden up and show the attributes others have mentioned. So far, so good.

Duratracs
    2001 4Runner 3.4V-6 SR5 4x4 Money Pit<br />2008 FJC TT SE 6 SPEED stock

I will never own BFG ATs again either.
    I did not have as good experience with them as others on here have.
    I could never find a good pressure to run them at.
    I also went through two sets....

In rain I was scared, in snow it was something to be desired...
    I live and wheel in Southeast PA, we have mud, and those tires do NOT like mud and just make it a joke to wheel if all your in is mud.

But if its going to be your DD tire and your not going to be changing pressures 24/7 then its alright.
    But when I get to the time to get a DD tire I will be going with the General Grabber AT2s, they are just a heck of a lot better I think, and cheaper.
    General Tires as a brand I think have come a long way.

I wouldn't get a MT as a DD, its just brutal on you and the truck.

I have also been hearing good things about the Duratrac's but can't really put my .02 in about them

I have had really good results with MTR's. BUT, i just ordered the Treadwright Guard Dog with Kedge grip in 315/75-16!
    09 FJ 6spd manual<br />01 Tonka-oma TRD <br />Audi RS2 CQ clone<br />98 Audi A4 turbo quattro avant

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast