Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2nd SUV Options

2nd SUV Options

So, the wife and I have been sharing my 4Runner since I moved up here. It's worked. She'd drop me off at work, and then pick me up at night when I got off work. Then we had our first child. It still worked fairly well, but was a bit of a hassle having to drag our daughter out at night to come get me. Now, we have our second child on the way, and it's time for my wife to get her own car.

Want: SUV, 4WD
    Budget: $5,000-$7,000

She doesn't want a car. She wants and SUV because she likes being higher off the ground. We also want it to be a 4WD or AWD due to the winters up here. My first thought is another 3rd gen. I'm looking for other options, and input. Jeep? Nissan? Honda? It can't be a super small SUV.. need room to fit two car seats in the back, without having to hug the steering wheel up front.

Re: 2nd SUV Options

I vote for a 1st gen Highlander, 1st gen Honda Pilot, or maybe even a Subaru Forester.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Are Ford Escapes decently reliable? I did a quick search for a Highlander earlier with no luck in that price range. I'll give the Pilot a look.. I don't think she'll dig the Forester too much.

Honda Passports Are pretty good too.

I don't know anything about Ford Escapes, but if you are willing to get something that small, I'd look at the 2ng gen Toyota Rav4 and Honda CRV. Not sure if the Rav4 would be in your price range though.

Other options may be the Toyota Matrix/Pontiac Vibe (same thing).
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Old school 4wd tercel FTW!!!!
    My signature

Yeah.. The Escape is probably going to be too cramped actually. A friend of her moms has an older CRV, and my wife didn't like the size of it. The Matrix/Vibe is out just because she doesn't want a car. I personally think some of the Matrix cars are looks pretty decent though (not the newest body style they just came out with, but the previous gen)

Quote Originally Posted by DHC6twinotter
    I don't know anything about Ford Escapes, but if you are willing to get something that small, I'd look at the 2ng gen Toyota Rav4 and Honda CRV. Not sure if the Rav4 would be in your price range though.

Other options may be the Toyota Matrix/Pontiac Vibe (same thing).
    Now, for the record. I used Craigslist just to do a quick search..
    -No Toyota Highlanders in the area (in our price range).
    -No Honda Pilot's in the area (in our price range).

Seeing what options ARE around.. So far it looks like the 4Runner is remaining the better option.

A close friend of mine is a parts manager for Ford. His wife had an escape and he couldnt get rid of it fast enough. It may have just been a lemon but there were constant issues.
    02 Sport (Sporticus)<br />881 / 906 OME Combo, 275/65/16 Faulken High Country AT&#39;s, Syntheic Fluids,Brembo / Hawk Combo and two car seats for the future wheelers<br /><br />2010 Highlander SE- Wife&#39;s kid transporter.<br /><br />1998 Tacoma- 2.7 liters of fury...after that is pretty plain and stock

Found a clean '97 v6/4x4/SR5 4Runner with 147k we're gonna call about. I'm sure it'll be gone when we get the money (~8days from now), but it's worth a shot.

If I didn't like my 4Runner so much I'd let her just use it, and get a used Impreza for myself! I wouldn't mind an AWD sporty car... but alas, I do love my 4Runner.

My vote is go with what you know. I'm sure your handy with a 3rd gen runner and could maintain yours and her vehicles well.

99 Taco 2.7/ It&#39;s got stuff<br /><br />[quote author=troyboy162 link=topic=8256.msg78136#msg78136 date=1255335181]Toyota never built a rock brawlin/pimp mobile...you have strayed from the intended use&nbsp; <br />[/quote]

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast