Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Where to find complete Timing belt/water pump kit?

Re: Where to find complete Timing belt/water pump kit?

Brian, I said WITH power tools "oh only should take me 2 hours"
    5 hours later finally had the truck running, I know he keeps his engine bay more clean then mine but damn some of those nuts were like *&^% you to me

Are the 3rd gen timing belts that much easier to replace than 2nd gens, or am I just really slow at 2nd gen timing belts? It took me 8 hours or so to do the timing belt on my 2nd gen.

My 3rd gen timing belt is due in the next year or so. 4Runner has 83k on it now.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by YotaFun
    Brian, I said WITH power tools "oh only should take me 2 hours"
    5 hours later finally had the truck running, I know he keeps his engine bay more clean then mine but damn some of those nuts were like *&^% you to me
    You know its clean lol. I had 90% of it off before when the cam ate that rag when the plug blew out (never making that mistake again) and every single bolt came out easy. Course I put never seize on them when I put them back in too lol.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

plug blew out and your cam ate a rag? what the hell did you do avy? haha just playn.

the 3.0 timing belt is more time consuming because there are a few more things that need to come out then the 3.4. it took me most of a saturday at work to do the 3.0 belt and less time to do the 3.4 but those were the first t belts ive ever done. biggest thing that holds you up is if the crank pulley is stuck on the crank. a decent crank pulley puller will usually fix that problem. then sometimes the threads you would use the puller on the crank are all rusted. bust out the tap set and retread the holes its all bs you know
    1998 4runner SAS<br />1997 Volvo 850<br /><br />www.toyotacrawlers.com

Guys in the rust belt will usually need about double the time for the same job if stuff is in rough shape. Hose all the bolts down with PB blaster the night before and I find the job goes alot easier. Crank bolt is usually the worst part.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Quote Originally Posted by 20005spd
    plug blew out and your cam ate a rag? what the hell did you do avy? haha just playn.

the 3.0 timing belt is more time consuming because there are a few more things that need to come out then the 3.4. it took me most of a saturday at work to do the 3.0 belt and less time to do the 3.4 but those were the first t belts ive ever done. biggest thing that holds you up is if the crank pulley is stuck on the crank. a decent crank pulley puller will usually fix that problem. then sometimes the threads you would use the puller on the crank are all rusted. bust out the tap set and retread the holes its all bs you know
    It was me and he wasnt there to help except over the phone.

Was driving on day and noticed slight misfire, kept driving and it got really bad. Looked at it with my boss and we agreed I should go straight home (3 mile ride), 1/2 way back I start spewing oil and its smoking and im like wtf!

Get home, aftermath was the #2 plug on pass side blew out of the heatd, ate the coil to nothing and blew the seals on the valve cover. Got the repair kit, which is nothing more than a solid insert. Had the valve cover off to replace the seal, had to tap the hole for the insert so I did so, removed EFI relay and cranked away to blow anything left out. I left a rag I had on the plenum and after cranking it over a bit the rag managed to walk its way off the plenum into the waiting dual cam gears.

I had to remove the outer cam, didnt know one was spring loaded (FSM SUCKS btw for this, they dont describe it well imho), had to pick pieces of rag out of it for an hour. Then once that was done realized the other cam had moved cause I had to loosen it up to get cam #1 out.

Had to pick rag out of that one anyways, noticed everything was out of time slightly, had buy the special tool which BARELY moved the idler to allow me to put the idler for the cam setup back on (I forget why I removed it). I basically had to press down on the belt with the idler in my hand and hand thread it back on.

Then, then I realized the other cam (after confirming with Avy) was spring loaded, had to take it all apart again and fix that, didnt have special tool to move gears-found oil filter wrench (the plier type) worked, put it all back together and notice the valve cover cracked. Repair valve cover, repair doesnt hold, try to get one form junkyards-zilch. Find one on ebay for 100 bucks.

now it runs ok, there is still a VERY slight misfire that can be barely felt and there is no way in hell Im ever removing that plug and wire for any reason whatsoever unless it shoots out of the head again.

Best thing about it all: toyota was the last to do a tune up or anything under my hood about 60k before this happened. So that plug had 60k before it decided it wanted out. I have searched and only come up with other instance of this happening on a 3.4L and same plug too.

That was all him, I wasn't there for that one....

Yeah the 3.4l is TONS easier the then 3.0 I think.
    Also I had a huge breaker bar and I did a practice you probably shouldn't do but works really well.
    I put the breaker bar on the battery side of the frame rail and taped the motor over with the key, and voila right off....
    Obviously not a practice that you should use and I will probably be flamed for but it works...

I dont see anything wrong with that method, whatever works man. Ive done stranger things.

Navigator

iv done that too.. works really well
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

That's how mechanics at the dealer often break the bolt loose.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast