Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mother-in-law's Honda Accord died on the road tonight!

Re: Mother-in-law's Honda Accord died on the road tonight!

Quote Originally Posted by 04 Rocko Taco
    Erich, looks like you beat me to it. Your post wasn't there when I typed mine. lol.
    No problem Rocko,

Without dragging my dear old M-I-L through the mud too badly, she can't afford to payoff this car loan, let alone get a new car. She was finally getting back on her feet financially and has damaged credit and no savings to speak of. The day that she pays off her car loan, has a running vehicle and starts to tackle other financial burdens will be huge for her.

Erich
    -Erich
    99' Black Highlander 4runner / Garage Profile / Black P/C 8x16 Wheeler Off-Road alloy wheels / Husky floor liners / Thule MOAB Rack
    Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

According to Wiki, it should have the F22B engine. Maybe take a look around the internet for a JDM engine - most come with some kind of warranty and some even have a fresh timing belt put on when they hit our shores (double check that though)
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

Well, I'm not sure what to do now. I've called around and just the labor to install the engine is $1300-1700, Add ~$600 plus shipping (assume $300) and it's up to $2200-2600. She's not in love with the car and really should get something more suited for the winter weather up here. I guess it would be smarter to find a inexpensive car on craigslist and just drive it until she can get into a car that she wants to keep for a while. I found a 1992 Plymouth grand voyager AWD - $1600 and a 1991 VW Golf - $850 on CL.

Erich
    -Erich
    99' Black Highlander 4runner / Garage Profile / Black P/C 8x16 Wheeler Off-Road alloy wheels / Husky floor liners / Thule MOAB Rack
    Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

I'd stay away from the Grand Voyager unless it has a newer upgraded tranny in it. Those are notorious for blowing trannies. My parents had a '91 GV that was on it's 4th tranny when they gave it away at 245k. The last tranny was an upgraded one they got from the dealer, and it worked great. Prior three were junk. Other than that and some brake issues, it was a pretty good van. The motor (3.3L) was never touched other than routine maintenance.

I don't know anything about VWs.

Are there any cheap Subarus up there?
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by DHC6twinotter
    I'd stay away from the Grand Voyager unless it has a newer upgraded tranny in it. Those are notorious for blowing trannies. My parents had a '91 GV that was on it's 4th tranny when they gave it away at 245k. The last tranny was an upgraded one they got from the dealer, and it worked great. Prior three were junk. Other than that and some brake issues, it was a pretty good van. The motor (3.3L) was never touched other than routine maintenance.

I don't know anything about VWs.

Are there any cheap Subarus up there?
    Good to know. Thanks for the heads up.

There are a ton of old Subarus up here, just nothing on CL at the moment.

Erich
    -Erich
    Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

Buy a subuaru, run away from anything chrysler/dodge please specially the vans.

You want another good option-maybe an older 4runner with 22re?
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Yeah... I was just checking the CL for your area and there's hardly nothin' on there! 1 Toyota 4Runner. Only a few Subarus, and none really on the cheap.

There was a 92 Toyota Previa AWD van with about 80k on it for $3000.
    A 92 Jeep Cherokee Laredo for $2k obo. It has 202k miles though.. not sure how reliable the 4.0l engines are, but regardless that's a lot of miles.

Sorry to hear about the car issues Erich.
    I agree with the rest of the fellas,
    I know she owes but that is just not worth fixing.

I agree with Marc in that stay away from the Van.
    The VW is touch and go, but I would stay away from that too.

Fenrisx posted a few options, but the Previa wasn't Toyotas best idea imho,
    The jeep is still a Jeep, while the 4.0l is a good motors, the auto trans isn't.

I know the weather is crappy there but I suggest just finding a some what same year Camry with the 4cyl, put some good tires on it and make sure all other maint is caught up on it.

Quote Originally Posted by YotaFun
    I know the weather is crappy there but I suggest just finding a some what same year Camry with the 4cyl, put some good tires on it and make sure all other maint is caught up on it.
    There were a few Camry's listed, maybe one of those would be a good option for your MIL.

Jeeps ok, make sure its the 4.0L tho. They are tough little trucks really, trans is ok..depends on how they drove it really. Avys right on that aspect.

Camry with snows would be good, so would a corolla maybe.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast