Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Will we see a new Tacoma in 2012?

Re: Will we see a new Tacoma in 2012?

Quote Originally Posted by 04 Rocko Taco
    Not just 3rd world countries, what about American Special Forces abroad?

Is this a package deal? If so, I'll take one please. :P
    [b] -Bekah <br />.=. It&#39;s not the fall that hurts, it&#39;s that stop at the end .=.

Due to the natural disaster that took place in Japan, I definitely doubt we'll see one for 2012 now.

That.

FWIW, the past two weeks I've been drooling over this after test driving a demo 2011 CrewCab Short Bed with the 5.3 and my Dad's HD with the 6.2. Tundra doesn't even compare and the Tacoma's have even less room than my Runner..My intended purchase within the next 3 years just changed considerably, Toyota better come up with something better IMHO (Sorry, but I've beaten the crap out of my BowTies and miss having one.)
    [img width=800 height=533]http://lanzers.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/2010-Chevrolet-Silverado-ZR2-Concept-Reviews-front-view.jpg[/img]

This'll pull all our gear and the trailer or the EbbTide pretty easily and wheel all but the narrowest stuff..they're even fully boxed frames now!

I like the first one.. I'm guessing it's the concept version? It looks like the hood + front grill is one piece.. I like it. Otherwise I prefer the F-150's to the current Chevy's. I don't need a full size truck though.. but I would like a 5th gen 4Runner TE.

Yeah, you should see the Sierra Concept, sickness!! Look them up and check out the bed storage, interiors, etc..

FWIW, even the Raptor did not compare to what I drove. I didn't want to consider full size, but after looking into building up a 80 or 100 Series and comparing all them side by side the GM's won out. Me, the wife, all our gear, the baby, the dog, the possibility within the next year or so of bringing another kid into our lives if the job front works out and it becomes necessity. Add to it I can throw on a 4-6" lift for 33's or 35's, or have Infamous do their magic for even more and it's a better investment. Personally I am no longer impressed by Toyota, also evidenced by who I am trying to finalize this job opportunity with. I saw too much drama and let down with Toyota lately and from what I saw them bringing out, even before the Earthquake they weren't doing things right.

Sorry to sound like a troll here, but I had to give my $.02..

Check out this build from a pal in Brentwood..he sat there beside me yesterday in this while I drove a SC'd 2000 DC-Taco and kicked our butts with just the N/A 5.3 w/ Auto.

No solid axle...its not a HD truck.

Even dodge figured out you need a solid front axle..gm still lacks, sorry man. I rather have a Diesel F250/350 than anything else. Toughest trucks alive.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Navigator

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalBorn
    Check out this build from a pal in Brentwood..he sat there beside me yesterday in this while I drove a SC'd 2000 DC-Taco and kicked our butts with just the N/A 5.3 w/ Auto.
    who's your pal in Brentwood? my Uncle and cousins live up there.. He started Brentwood Auto Body - and sold the business about 4 years ago. My cousin still works for the new owners.
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

Quote Originally Posted by CJM
    No solid axle...its not a HD truck.

Even dodge figured out you need a solid front axle..gm still lacks, sorry man. I rather have a Diesel F250/350 than anything else. Toughest trucks alive.
    I've got a diesel Silverado 2500HD myself and I totally disagree with the above statements.

First I'd take the IFS over solid axle any day if you are comparing ride quality on 1/2 ton or HD (3/4 and 1 ton) trucks. A solid axle HD truck rides like a log wagon and often get what people call the death wobble (wears out steering components fast). Solid axle had it's day and there's a reason why all the manufacturers have switched over the 1/2 ton trucks (and why GM did on the HD's too). Yes, solid axle is easier to lift, but there's plenty of options for lifting IFS on Chevy HD's too and the ride quality is an order of magnitude better. Even if we're talking about offroading, look at the H1......yep, IFS too.

Evenone's got their own opinion, but honestly I wouldn't take a ford diesel if you gave it to me.......Duramax or Cummins are far better motors (slight edge to the Cummins there on design longevity) for power and durability. The Ford 6.0L Powerstroke blew head gaskets like they're going out of style (even in bone stock form, forget the programmer).....then to replace them you needed to take the cab off the truck! The 6.4L supposedly fixed this but who knows......I'm not interested in doing Ford's R&D for them. What puts the Chevy HD's over the Dodge HD's IMHO is that they mate the Duramax with an Allison transmission (hands down best tranny out there). With head studs, twin turbos and a well built tranny, the sky's the limit on how much power/torque a Duramax/Allison combo can handle.

GM definately makes the best HD trucks out there as far as I'm concerned and I looked at them all before buying mine. The GM 1/2 ton trucks are quite impressive too (the new 5.3L is an excellent motor) and if you compare them to a Tundra on value, they make a very compelling case indeed. I have always been a huge Toyota fan, but Toyota needs to lower their prices to get competitive with what's out there in the market today. I love the Tundra (07+), but they just cost too much for what you get.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

^ Bit biased Id say lol No arguments there.

Having worked on, driven and maintained most vehicles I just do not like a torsion bar frontend if you want a real HD truck. Day in and day out a SFA will carry more weight than a torsion bar. I point out that the most abuse a truck can suffer is when its equipped to be a wheel lift tow truck. Worked pretty much 24/7, never given a break-maintained but only truly fixed when needed-ALL have a solid front axle b/c of strength.

If you dont like the ride of the SFA thats cool, not everyone can handle the kidney shattering ride some SFA trucks produce and I do agree the GM tends to ride much smoother and softer due to the torsion bar setup. However loaded down like the trucks are supposed to be it rides like a caddy. Ex: back in the day I used to do alot of towing. The yard/local flatbed truck was a beat to hell F-superduty (f550) circa 1995 PSD, unloaded with nothing on the flatbed it rode like I described above-put a car on it like its supposed to have and it rides better than a brand new GM torsion bar will.

If your not using the truck for real work I can understand why people choose comfort over capability-but in the long run if you ever want the use the truck to its potential you need that SFA. Just 1 trip loaded down will make you believe why it works so well.

As for death wobble-I seen very few like that, most of the time it was due to poor lift kits, idiots who never maintain the vehicle or due to accidents bending/damaging components.

As for the 6.0-no there is only one diesel engine I will own-7.3L PSD. There is a reason this engine is still in use in internationals lineup and has been for over a decade. Its tough, reliable and doesnt fail.

As for the E4OD (aka 4R100) vs the allison-yes GM has the leg up, cant argue with that.

As for cummins, vs duramax vs PSD-cummins is the only good thing about the dodge truck-period, duramax is ok-perhaps they worked the kinks out of them by now-earlier models had horrible injector issues, PSD-6.0 was worthless, not sure about 6.4, 7.3 is still king. Only reason they even bothered with the 6.0 is the EPA-which really is a load of bs to begin with.

IDK I know Im biased, but having worked on many pre and later PSD 7.3L's I cannot argue the quality and overall insane work the trucks will put up with. As I see it: Go look at any construction site-you will see an abundance of Ford trucks for a reason.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

On Original Topic.
    Just imagine a 4Runner with inverted head lights and a bed and there is sort of where the Tacoma may go, as it in some shape or form it has been.
    It will most likely have the same Engine and Transmission option as the 4Runner but only the J-shift transfer case.
    Models will probably remain SR5, Trail, and Sport.
    I do figure it will be soon though, They have all these crazy packages now like the 4Runner did at the end of its 4th gen run so.

As to the Off Topic:
    Marc everyone is entitled to there opinion bias or not.

When it comes to a heavy duty truck I think power and durability.
    While all Big 3 come to that game with something, each also has there flaws.

I expect a Heavy Duty Truck to ride like shit cause it has a simple set up made to handle tough work and a ton of power from a diesel engine.

As far as death wobble is concerned, I have only heard of that being an issue on lifted trucks, heck even when I first put the All-pro arms on my 4Runner the front got all out of wack and I had death wobble.

The reason the 1/2 ton market has gone IFS is because the general American public wants all in one, and honestly its just not possible, your going to have to sacrifice something somewhere.

I will admit the Duramax is a way better engine the Fords 6.0 and 6.4 motors.
    But I think of those as Fords newborns to the diesel world after having to rely solely on International for its engine.
    And didn't Toyota have head gasket issues with the 3.0l, Jamie I am a bit shocked by your heated response here cause every company has had there issues.
    The 6.7l is a great engine though and I think will go far. I don't think anyone can argue that Cummins is probably the best diesel out of the big 3, easy to work on and a really well running engine.

No one can argue the Allison is the best transmission out there for heavy duty.

But the minute you put more power in that Duramax engine, you better have a few spare cv's, front diff set aside, because the IFS just can not handle that kind of Torque, I have seen it over and over again blow apart.
    I mean take a page out of our off-roading, yes we can build strong IFS, but ultimately do we not look to a SFA for the more extreme of off-roading?

Quality is a big concern, and If I were to go buy a truck right off the line today, IMHO, I would go in the order of Ford, Chevy, Dodge.
    I have Driven all three and the Ford feels way more solid then the Chevy, and the Chevy more then the Dodge but to tell you the truth to me it was not by much.

I will agree that the Chevy is a more comfortable vehicle to drive and to tell you the truth all I see them do around here is car haul.
    Ford rules the construction industry here and Dodge is a close second.

Back in the day though Of like the Era of the 7.3l Ford I would have chose a Chevy for quality cause while they last forever, my neighbors interior and wiring is falling apart more then my friends Chevy.

As far as value for money Chevy vers Toyota, Yeah I would choose the Chevy hands down over the Toyota.
    The Tundra is a joke of a truck IMHO.
    I hate putting them on the lift, I feel like the back end of the frame is going to snap off from the cab end, and yes I am lifting it properly, the frame is just very weak, heck I was driving home behind one, and when we hit a bumpy part of the highway I watched this empty bed flex horribly, its really quiet scary.
    Until Toyota redesigns the frame and makes it fully boxed, I wont even consider the truck, then if they do that, they really should also consider designing a diesel to compete.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast