Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3rd Gen 4Runner Frame Rust Issues...

3rd Gen 4Runner Frame Rust Issues...

Who has this issue?

I have been reading about 3rd Gen 4Runners having similar issues to the Tacoma.
    I know a buddy at a dealer north of me that has come across quite a few and has open a case with Toyota Corporate about it.

Last time I check my frame, it was pretty good except for the surface rust from scrapping it on rocks, and stepdad's only issues is the pumpkin on his rear axle.

But I am curious for anyone in the area that experience rust the worse have noticed there frame starting to rot away?

Re: 3rd Gen 4Runner Frame Rust Issues...

I hate rust so I keep an eye on all the truck. I'd be lying if I said I didn't have a wire brush with my under the 4Runner when I was changing the A/F sensor. I clean things up and bomb it with spray at least once a year. I don't use anything special, just flat black but it keeps things looking good.

Yeah, my frame is starting to get some good rust on it now, not rotted yet but on the way. They just use crazy amounts of salt and sand up here so not much stands a chance of coming out unscathed.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

The paint on mine has held up pretty well. I repaint the skidplates on occasion from damage I have done, but otherwise the three common rust areas on mine include the bracket above the spare tire (the tire rubs the paint off and light rust forms there), the hangers for the lower rear suspension arms get sandblasted in the desert and the inside of the front and rear bumpers get surface rust. Other than that, everything looks good.

My rear body mounts on the frame were starting to rust as well as the whole rear axle housing was developing surface rust but I just hit it with a wire brush and spray the heck out of it with Rust Converter and I'm good to go. The spray changes the rust colour to black so that's good too.
    '98 4Runner SR5, V-6, 5-speed, 35" Baja Claws, 17x9 Eagle Alloys, E-Locker, 4.88 Yukon Gears, 3" Susp Lift, 3" Body Lift, 180 amp ALT, Elbow mod, Deckplate Mod, "D" gasket mod, 22" Magnaflow, 231mm Tundra Brakes, 67" TG Sliders, 8500lb Portable Winch Mod, Airlift Bags, Magellan GPS...

Next on the list: Marlin Clutch

My Build Thread: http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-ge...ld-thread.html

My T100 had surface rust on it and I cleaned it up with a wire wheel and brush. Then I washed it with a pressure washer and used a leafblower to dry it and sprayed it with rustoleum rust converting paint and then some satin black. very little came back if any and that was like 2 years ago-maybe 3.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

I've got what I would consider some good rust goin' too. I'm so used to not seeing rust (being from down south originally).. so I could be over exaggerating.

I know there was a guy on T4R forums (I think) who had a large area of his frame by the exhaust rust through.

You're all going to hate the following encyclopedic reply..

You guys should look into having your frames sprayed with paraffin once you touch them up. I'm going on 4 years w/ Wimpy and now that the spray wax the previous owner had done has worn off it's starting to pickup some surface rust as well..that said, it's a California car, so instead of rust we deal w/ CARB. Most Lexus, Mecedes, Audi, etc dealerships either have the hot sprayer themselves or can turn you towards a detail/body shop that does have it.

If you want to do this yourself, grab some boeshield! http://boeshield.com/ What I'll usually do (which as it stands I have to do sometime in the next few weeks) is when I do my oil change since I've had the engine warmed up and drained and changed the oil and finished that up is to wait for the oil to cool down a little and use it as a pre-clean wipe down on my frame's outer. It works great for knocking down the rest of the dirt, etc/stuff I can't simply brush or wipe down and it penetrates into creases, etc. Then I grab a different rag and spray the Boeshield on it and use that to wipe down the frame and remove any remaining oil residue, then I simply spray my frame down, let it set up for a day or so and be done w/ it. Be advised though, it does drip and creates spots, so we always lay down some cardboard underneath to catch it all. Stay away from hot surfaces and realize some spray will hit the pipes and smoke a little bit when you first drive your vehicle again.

As far as shops, if you get turned down there, try a farm equipment repair or supply place, it's worth the investment IMHO. Just remember you want wax based not asphalt based. Wax repels and weeps moisture out, asphalt traps it.

The industry terms are Gulf Wax, Noxudol, etc. it's shown in use during the first and last parts of this video. (Not the underspray, but the aerosol spray.)
    Noxudol - Undercoating Process

I am noticing my frame rust most right where the body mount under the rear passenger door is, right about where the mount for the rear lower trailing arm is.
    There is about an inch of space between the two welds which are starting to rust pretty well...

I have used before on tow trucks and such a product called fluid film. Its like a sticky/tacky oil and comes in a spray bottle and you go to town, it doesnt come off all to easy either.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast