Thread: TPS reading 11.0 when engine is off.....Normal?

TPS reading 11.0 when engine is off.....Normal?

I plugged in my BR3 OBDII reader with the key on the RUN position, engine off...the TPS is reading 11.0, pushing the gas pedal to the max its reading 75. Is this normal?

The other issue I'm noticing is when I'm refueling her up....popping the gas cap off and there is no whoosh/pressure coming out. No CEL, I've checked the FPR and its holding vacuum. Any thoughts?

I haven't been driving the 4Runner around as much as I should for the past year or so....Just kinda forgot how she runs, I drove it daily since last week and gas pedal feels pretty heavy compared to my other cars.
    97 4runner Limited<br />2wd---&gt;4wd Conversion

Re: TPS reading 11.0 when engine is off.....Normal?

If I remember I can check my 4Runner with the scanner tonight. FWIW I don't always get the whooshing sound when I open the gas cap. Our Subaru on the other hand has it every time and it's pretty loud.

That would be great if you can....Thanks

I was pretty sure I got the wooshing sound before and then it changed when I threw in the walbro pump and new fuel level sender.

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike
    If I remember I can check my 4Runner with the scanner tonight. FWIW I don't always get the whooshing sound when I open the gas cap. Our Subaru on the other hand has it every time and it's pretty loud.
    i almost never get the woosh, occasionally i do, and i havent really paid attention to when (tank level differences, temperature differences, hot/cold engine, etc) fwiw.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

That reading sounds about right, I think mine was between 11.5-12.5'but that's pretty dang close.
    As far as the woosh sound, I get that only after running the truck almost bone try, but I don't always get it.

As far as your pedal feeling stiffer being a concern, I have always felt the same way but puts are throttle by cable not by wire like some of the newer 4Runners are so I chaulk that feeling up to that, I tried spraying some CRC power line on the throttle body spring and down the cable but it didn't make much of a difference.

Thanks guys....I'm trying to track my MPGs. I remember I can get about 180-200 miles out of 13 gallons of gas before with local/freeway driving and occasionally hitting boost. But now its 160 miles and almost time to refuel her up .

Maintenance is up to date, only things I can think of is to replace the fuel filter and maybe start looking for a new transmission.

In my experience, if my MPG starts to drop it's usually a dirty MAF sensor. I've noticed it's very sensitive with the s/c setup.
    2001 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4-Dub<br />TRD supercharger,&nbsp; Toytec Coilovers, OME 890&#39;s, 285 Duratracs

I've never scanned my Toyota, but while data logging in my Honda my TPS sensor reads a slightly open when the engine is off too. I wouldn't worry about it.

Per my '99 FSM, p. DI-169:"NORMAL CONDITION"
    Throttle valve fully closed: 7-11%
    Throttle valve fully open: 65-75%.
    It's normal. If the ECM sees zero or 100% it figures that is a short or open and calls a fault.
    &#39;99 (tall) 4Runner SR5 5spd 4WD(U.S), Hella fogs, Trekmaster shocks, no running boards, FIAMM horns, Alpine sound, Optima Red Top 34R (Made in USA), otherwise stock,owned since new.<br />&#39;97 HiLux SW4 5spd 4WD(Japan model bought in Brazil, very close to a 3.0 4Runner)<br />&#39;71 FordWillys Jeep CJ5 (with straight six Ford Maverick 3.0 liter engine--lives in the mountains north of Sao Paulo Brazil)