Thread: 2004 Tacoma Headlight Issue.

2004 Tacoma Headlight Issue.

Okay guys, My Tacoma (2004 Doublecab PreRunner 3.4, Auto) has the auto-off feature on the headlights, meaning when I turn the truck off and open the door, they go off, therefore, smartly or not, I leave them on all the time.

The other day I get in my truck, and start it, the lights come on and go right back off, dash lights and everything are still on, just no headlights. I push the stalk to get my bright lights, and voila! Lights. Tough to say if they are my brights or my low beams.

Now that is the only way it works, to have my brights on, but the brights indicator light on the dash no longer comes on. If I bring the stalk back to the lo-beam position, no headlights.

Ideas? Bulbs? Fuses? relays? In truth, I haven't checked ANYTHING yet, just thought I would ask here.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

Re: 2004 Tacoma Headlight Issue.

I'd say bulb. The high beam indicator runs through the low beam filaments. While you're at it, check your alternator, make sure it's not over-charging and burning out your bulbs.
    2012 Tacoma 4x4 6spd TRD, e-locker, LT265/75R16E Michelin LTX A/T2s, Stubbs HD-SKOs
    2003 Taco-was K.I.A. 4/31/12-RIP

Chris, its rare but I have seen it a few times myself where both low leams have burnt out.

Try the bulbs and get back to us.

I don't want to throw out any ideas till we have eliminated that one

bulbs first, otherwise Id say multifunction switch 9the stalk) but never seen a toyota do that. My brothers hyundai did the same thing, I checked all fuses, the bulbs, etc, etc. Turned out both lowbeam lamps died.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Navigator

ill put my $.02 in for bulbs too.. i did that in my CR-V once, where both low beams went out on the same day
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

Bulbs x3..erm..4.

Replace both at the same time even if only one's out, always a smart idea and they'll last longer for some reason, I forget why.
    *Does your county require DRL, or do you really need the auto-off function, IMHO it kills bulbs way quicker.

No, my area does not require DRL's. I just like using the auto-off feature. That way it is also an auto-on feature. I'll MAYBE get some time to check into this tonight. This weekend at the latest.
    -Chris
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.

on my 2003 tacoma i removed the headlight ? relay in the engine fuse box to temporarily disable the drl as a trial before cutting wires. the headlights did not work, except on highbeam.
    so it may be the relay or fuse.

Finally got around to some free time, so pulled the bulbs and dropped in a different set, and that was the problem. Thanks for the tip guys. It would have been the first thing I checked anyway, but getting the affirmative here made it easier to feel confident.

Thanks Again!
    -Chris