Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2000 CR-V Rough Start

2000 CR-V Rough Start

Here is the issues.
    Got a 2000 Honda CR-V
    Here is where it all started.
    Friend got this thing at the end of February.
    It was running great.
    Few little quirks here and there, such as coolant smell from the engine bay and coolant low, but other than that good.
    First day of good weather friend goes down to beach (march ish?)
    On the way back truck misfires.
    Cyl #2 misfire.
    Did a tune up, spark plug and wire from Honda
    All I well in the world again.
    Did oil change in April, topped off coolant, car was peachy.
    Towards the end of April into May it started to get a hard start in the morning, also would occur sometimes after it cooled down for like an hour or so, worse was overnight sitting though.
    Got a check engine light, Cyl #3 misfire, so I thought maybe the injector was going bad or leaking out over night, I changed it.
    Didn’t help…
    Talked to a few Honda geeks in the shop, one suggested the fuel pressure regulator because he had the same problem.
    I changed that part and the symptom went away, but not completely.
    I cleaned out the throttle body, no help.
    Then another guy in the shop had a 99 with the same issue and said the distributor cap and rotor where the issue.
    I changed that out today and still have the issue.
    Sitting around with the other techs puzzling over this, they think it’s the head gasket going and that the cyl is getting coolant in there in the morning.
    But here is the thing, when I start it up there is no indication what so ever of coolant being burnt off.
    I cannot pressure test the cyl because I went to try and pull the #3 spark plug and its not budging and I even put anit-seize on them…
    Someone suggested pressure testing the coolant system, but lest say on that cold start if I go to and undo the cap there is no pressure release like combustion gases are getting in there.
    I am about out of idea’s on this thing, and could really appreciate a little input…

EDIT: Forgot to mention, after the 5 seconds or so of stumbling the engine will run fine, and perfect any where you drive it like it was brand new

Re: 2000 CR-V Rough Start

idle air control valve is my go to answer for stuff like this, but with the misfires, im not sure that is the answer. couldnt hurt to clean it out tho
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

We had a 2000 CR-V for a while. Would almost stall at stoplights, hard to start when cold, no check engine light. I did some of the same stuff as you..plugs, cleaned idle control valve, injector cleaning...no change. Finally took it to the dealer and found that those years had a problem with the valves and seats sinking into the head.
    Honda warrantied mine, but it only had 65k on it and was about 5 years old.

More info...
    http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/...ead.php?t=2677
    1995 4runner--SAS'd and armored--GONE

1998 4Runner--under construction--GONE

2003 4runner...the new project

Losing coolant to mean means headgasket. Only other idea besides Marc P's would be a cracked block but that would be massive overheating. I seen it happen to a newer accord once, rad was filled with milk like sludge, do HG and rad, car does it again-find crack in block later on.

When i was on the road as a service tech almost all hondas made from about 95-02ish had issues cold starting-specially when it was cold outside tho. Would crank like crazy and usually imho was fuel press reg.

GL Avy!
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Quote Originally Posted by YotaFun

EDIT: Forgot to mention, after the 5 seconds or so of stumbling the engine will run fine, and perfect any where you drive it like it was brand new
    that could be the fuel prblem. next time on a cold start, turn the key and hold it at "on" for a few seconds let the pressure build up, if it starts normally, it could be the pump has less juice, or fuel check valve failure causing fuel drain back to tank.
    94 4Runner, SR5 3.0V6, 4WD, 5spd: SOLD<br />99 4Runner, SR5, 3.4L 4WD, 5spd.&nbsp;&nbsp; full SS 1.2 lift, RedLine Fluids, Marline Shifter seat, BruceTS rear bumper, roof busket, Marlin 1200 Clutch, hitch mount tire carrier, Tundra brakes, Brembo rotors.&nbsp; Stubb&#039;s sliders, Lightforce 240, ARB Taco bar, BruceTS rear bumper, stainless steel skid plate.&nbsp; ScanGaugeII, Hankook AT 265/75 LC80 wheels.<br />04 4Runner, V6 SR5 4WD, 3rd Gen. LTD wheels, BFG AT 265/75, FJC coils and silver Bilstein shocks, Scion H/U.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndGen
    Quote Originally Posted by YotaFun

that could be the fuel prblem. next time on a cold start, turn the key and hold it at "on" for a few seconds let the pressure build up, if it starts normally, it could be the pump has less juice, or fuel check valve failure causing fuel drain back to tank.
    But if that was the case it doesnt explain the coolant loss.

Marc P- I am all to aware of that issue, I have checked the valves and all is well according to Honda spec. I'll go over them again today after work but its a mystery.

CJM- Thats the thing, it DOESN'T overheat! All I can smell is coolant in the engine bay like it may be seeping out somewhere, and there is no indication when if finally does start that its burning coolant, there is no smoke what so ever out of the tail pip.

2ndGen- I have done that, turned the key on "On" and let it sit for a few seconds, you can hear the pump kick in when you turn the key on so I know its not bad, but still stumbles to a start.

Today, when I went to start it I tried something that Sean suggested to help see if it may be the idle air control, I pumped the break. When I started it started right on the first time but still stumbled and I got a flashing check engine light. Pulled the code and again I got a random misfire code. but after about 10 seconds this time it was running perfect again.

Seems odd. Coolant smell then if no burning really, no smoke, no overheating could just be a pinhole leak in the rad, waterpump, hoses etc.

IDK man, Im as stumped as you are.

Maybe it's Dunn for?

Sorry, I know, not on topic and maybe too soon, but I'm gonna use this line for the rest of the month!

Navigator

ill cross post this to hondasuv since it wont let you register. Just curious, what specs did you set the valves to? they are best at the loosest end of spec (which the number of escapes me atm)
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast