Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2000 CR-V Rough Start

Re: 2000 CR-V Rough Start

Intake: .005"
    Exhaust: .008"

Today it was just not having it, I thought I was going to have to take the truck to work.
    It just cranked and cranked and cranked and nothing was happening, so I did the stupid thing and cranked and push the gas pedal down and it hickup'd but still continued to just crank.
    Finally tried it one more time, cranked and cranked and then slowly ever so slowly it started coming to life, I didn't touch the gas pedal I let it bring itself up which it did.
    This time I noticed a puff of smoke out of the exhaust but it just looked like unburned fuel from when I was probably flooding the engine giving it gas...

Navigator

Got some replies over on hondasuv for u Avy..

With an unknown service history - I would do a leak down test to check for burnt valves and also do a pressure test on the coolant system. One of the two tests should give you an answer.
    Failure to start after overnight is 'flooded engine' caused by 'dribbling injector' the techs are green. Google:'honda flooded overnight'

'leaking coolant' should not be ignored at all. Hondas don't respond well to that kind of neglect. Find the leak, don't let the reservoir get below half-full ever.
    check your fuel injector plugs...i had the same exact problem...misfire on #3 cyl..

play with your injector harness...while ur motor is running...unplug and plug back the #3 injector plug to see if it goes away...if it does order a new harness and clip the bad one off and connect the new plug...i did this and ever since then...the flashing checkm engine light went away...thats what caused me to burn a valve...so after doing the head job...it was still doing this...so it was the injector plugs that caused it...just something new you can try...unless u fixed it already
    The misfires on a 1st Gen CR-V are almost always a burnt valve.

The leak down test is the only way to know without pulling the head.
    I'll let u know any further replies.
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

Alright, everyone is saying burnt valves but I am sorry that just does not seem plausible to me.
    Reason I say this is because the misfire is only for the first few seconds of start up, then the engine runs fine.
    I feel if it was burnt valves I would be getting a constant misfire till the engine was at least fully warm.

I can't not to a leak down test on the cyl because the plugs are frozen into the head, I used anti-seize like I always do and it still didn't help...

The harness is fine, I did a similar check, but the misfire went from cyl #3 to 2,3,4,random.

I can try to do a pressure test on the coolant system at least and maybe get the kit that checks the coolant to see if exhaust gases are getting in.

I removed the IAC today to look at it, used gum out, also noticed on the center triangular shaped o-ring there was a little corrosion around it, I cleaned the corrosion off and the IAC out so I will see what its like tomorrow, I think if it is at all better then I know where my problem may be, along with the coolant loss...

Navigator

Hey Avy - they are sayin it could be a single dripping injector (apparently common on Hondas).. Its common enough that there is even a section in the owner's manual "How to Start A Flooded Engine". They say the best solution is to run a bottle of your favorite injector cleaner and see if they will close up properly afterwards.
    - Kevin

Nope, I'm not replacing the remaning 3 injectors at $140 my price.
    I flooded the engine when I hottie gas a few times while cranking, the rest of the times there is no sign the engine is even flooded.

This morning I tired something, I cycled the key off and on about 5 times and it started right up which makes me think it's defiantly a fuel issues, or lack of fuel, and that the coolant loss is a completely separate problem.

But I just don't have any more time to work on it, I go flat rate wed and I have to train my replacement Tuesday, so I am dropping it off to Honda and let them at least do the diag I have been failing at. Plus I need this thing running, the axles seals have gone afaik on the 4Runner and with the rear brakes being way out of adjustment as is and having a 70 mile
    Round trip, I need my Camry back.

Keep you posted as to what Honda says tomorrow

Honda FAIL!!!

Get a call from Honda at around 330 this afternoon.
    "Sorry to inform you but we can not duplicate the problem, the vehicle started right up. We looked at it all day, and it could possibly be the valves but we really don't know. It was a common problem of that year but the vehicle is running fine."

I'll see what its like tomorrow morning...
    Also I opened the hood when I was putting gas in it today and could strongly smell coolant from the radiator, so next time I get it to the shop I am going to pull the fan assembly and tilt back the radiator and see if it is seeping anywhere.

The only thing I can think is that when I cleaned the IAC, all the junk finally blew itself out and its fine now....

ah the mysteries of a Honda, even though I bitch and complain about Toyota sometimes, I love them and there just so much easier to understand...

Im willing to bet its gonna happen again, they often do that bs "it didnt do it when we had it" line when they dont have a clue themselves.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

no I believe it, it started right up when we left...

Quote Originally Posted by YotaFun
    no I believe it, it started right up when we left...
    LOL! Crazy stuff huh?
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Navigator

cars are conspiring against us.. they never have the problem when we take it to someone who can fix it :P
    - Kevin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast