Thread: 3rd gen 4runner F-150 tank swap behind rear axle

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    heres a picture of the pump I took out. You can see the canister seperated where it snaps together. This should be what was making it stall at stop signs below 7 gallons. The angle of the pump would allow the fuel to pour right out and negate the "sump" effect it gives to the tank. This leads right into the mod I tried

heres a pic of my ghetto mod. All I did was seal the pump up with JB water weld all the way up to the top corner( the hole for the stabilization tube is sealed inside too). I left a few holes unsealed in the top corner in case its designed to vent through that seam. This should hold the fuel level much higher in the sudo sump and lead to all things desirable while I starve the fuel pick up in the un-baffled tank. Something came up late in research though lol. Turns out traditional JB weld that people have sworn by for years now dissolves with today's fuel additives particularly in California. Its most likley not the ethanol said one chemist, but one of the additive package items added to pump gas. I have another epoxy holding my purge fitting on the tank that has been fine for years but this use is alot more exposes no to mention sloshing fuel will contact it. I'm adding a jb water weld chunk to a jar of gas to watch for break down.
    Last edited by troyboy162; 02-14-2014 at 10:56 AM.