Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Expected fuel economy?

Re: Expected fuel economy?

I usuallry get roughly 16-17mpg if I don't drive crazy... mainly highway (although I get stuck in rush hour on my trips home from work).

When I drove down to GA back in Feb I was able to get 23mpg on one tank.. most were around 19-21. That was long periods of highway w/ no traffic though.

Quote Originally Posted by lee
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazychopstick
    How much do you think the rack would affect it?
    A LOT

my mileage dropped like an atomic bomb when i put a rack on my 01
    I figured that was a big factor. What kind of rack did you have?

Is the fairing really doing me any favors?

Quote Originally Posted by fenrisx
    I usuallry get roughly 16-17mpg if I don't drive crazy... mainly highway (although I get stuck in rush hour on my trips home from work).

When I drove down to GA back in Feb I was able to get 23mpg on one tank.. most were around 19-21. That was long periods of highway w/ no traffic though.
    What kind of lift and tires are you running?
    1997 4Runner

I'm only running 265/75s with a 2 inch lift (PP springs). That mileage on the Georgia trip was taken from corrected GPS mileage. Most of the time I just go of the ISP though.

A rack isn't going to affect the MPG that much if you're just driving around the city. There is no noticeable difference with my Yakima rack on and off.

Also, "city driving" can be all over the place. If you're in the city of LA, with lots of stop/go, idling, your MPG takes a big hit, then say po-dunk town in Nebraska with flat roads and hardly any traffic. Your 33's also will net you 2-3MPG loss, on the average. So with that all taken into account, you're probably about right on.
    Land Cruiser

I get a consistent 14 mpg city or highway with or without a 33" tire on a Thule rack on the roof.
    My speedometer is more accurate now with the 4.30 gears over the 4.10 I had.
    I chalk my mileage up to a aftermarket o2 sensor.

I am curious, what work has been done to your vehicle?
    You say you don't drive it as much as you use to like I do now that my commute is 70 miles round trip.

Whats the mileage?

Have you cleaned out the Throttle Body?
    Are you do for a Tune up?
    Any Critters making there home in your air box?

How good is the gas your getting?
    Name brand like Shell or Sunoco or is it Joe Shmo gas?
    Like here, we have Wawa chain gas station convenience store who get there gas from who ever has it cheapest at the time, so sometimes you get good gas and sometimes you get bad gas I have noticed that effect my gas mileage, I was down to a consistent 12 mpg for a month...

I get crap mileage....average 15-16mpg, and I drive 80% freeway.
    1995 4runner--SAS'd and armored--GONE

1998 4Runner--under construction--GONE

2003 4runner...the new project

I have an ultra guage now so i can see how crappy im doing. 13.8 mpg avg and dropping

Troy, how does the ultra guage work?
    Maybe i missed it but did you have a write up on it?

For what its worth, I get about 14-15 in city, and 17-18 on the hwy. I've got 33's, supercharger and URD kit with several other fixin's.

I used to get somewhat better, as high as 16-19 in city and 20-22 on the hwy, but after the top-end rebuild I richened up the mixture earlier in boost with a new AFR system, and that gave a significant hit to mileage (but a happier overall engine in boost).

Brian
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4
    Supercharged, URD'd, Lifted, etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodTimes
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

Just hit 19.5mpg on my last tank.. tracking with GPS for mileage. That's 95% highway (half of which is rush hour traffic [stop/go]). Also, I went light on the skinny pedal for that. This tank is looking to be a little less than my last.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast