Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Expected fuel economy?

Re: Expected fuel economy?

Troy thats what I am getting now.
    Consistent 14 MPG...

Sheesh Avy, I don't feel so bad now about my wimpy 3.0 getting 15.5 mixed, 17hwy.

Yeah, it blows, and I have given up chasing good gas mileage in a modified truck

"Better, Faster, Cheaper..Pick 2."??

Interesting discussion here on changing 02 sensors. Sounds like some have seen a result from a fresh sensor, but more interesting is the references to instant 3-4 mpg drop appearing to be winter gas transitions

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-ge...s-threads.html

Yup, on the list of ethanol problems I discussed on page 2 of this thread, ethanol significantly increases O2 sensor replacement intervals. Here's the jist of it:

Oxygen sensors (O2) used in most of today's automotive gasoline engines are failing at an ever increasing rate. What has happened, is that a small amount Ethanol in the gasoline (gasohol) will get past the piston rings and into the motor oil. The Ethanol with agitation and heat liberates some of the phosphorus from the motor oil. This phosphorus is vaporized and sucked into the Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) system and burned in the combustion chamber. This burned phosphorus on its way out the exhaust coats the O2 sensor(s) building up in layers. This phosphorus coating acts as a insulation causing the sensor to react slower than normal. The engine computer reads this slow reaction time as a failure of the sensor forcing its replacement. Note: This is the same material that coats catalytic converters causing them to go "cold" or cease to function.

LINK.

If you think getting another vehicle will help, think again. The only solution is fighting the increase in use of ethanol or buying an electric car.

Quote Originally Posted by troyboy162
    Interesting discussion here on changing 02 sensors. Sounds like some have seen a result from a fresh sensor, but more interesting is the references to instant 3-4 mpg drop appearing to be winter gas transitions

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-ge...s-threads.html
    My best ever tank of gas on my 3rd gen is the tank after I changed my A/F sensor. The bad sensor tripped the CEL so I replaced it. The next tank was driven freeway only and I got 25 mph for 7/8 of the tank loaded down pretty good. Only reason I filled up because we'd need to anyways and I was approaching the middle of no where.

Now it's winter and a few months later so I'm back to an avg of about 17/21. With just start up and drive to my park and ride I think it's around 14 mpg.

Since I have been DD'ing the 4Runner lately I decided to track my mileage and the gas I was using.

And to my unbelievable surprise I was getting 19 miles to the gallon combined City and Highway.

All of that and I am rolling on a set of 35s currently.

Yes I have accounted for the speedo being off, I have been using google maps and an app on my phone to track my mileage and then go from there.

My worst tank was when I was coming back from VA Christmas weekend, I got 18.5 mpg.

Also I have been running strictly 93 from the same Sunocco gas station I pass on my way to work every morning.

I believe the 93 is helping out my gas mileage

according to my scangauge II, i get around 20-23mpg going about 60 on the highway, and about 13-16 around town... I know it sucks, but i look at it this way. I have over 334,742 true all original miles on my 96, 4x4, auto, 3.4l SR5 Taco and not one bit has been replaced as far as the powertrain is concerned, only fluids, and other wearable items.
    I love my Toyotas....

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234