Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caliper issues

Caliper issues

Anyone else had caliper issues? I know I have a T100 but the calipers are built the same way for all the trucks, mines just larger.

Seems every year or two I shell out 200 bucks for rebuilt calipers. Always one pistons of the 4 freeze up and refuses to budge. Im at my wits end replacing these things, its getting costly. I figure this is set #3 or 4.

Should I lube something, spray the pistons with PBlaster or something? Try and get some grease in between the boot and pistons? WD40 maybe?
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Re: Caliper issues

Are they Toyota of aftermarket?

1st set was OEM, rest of them have all been aftermarket. Mix of bendix, delco and most recently pro stop from pepboys (only ones who had them in stock).

Id buy OEM, but even wist discount Avy they are INSANE $$$ 100 (50/ea) vs 300 or so ea and thats unloaded.

The only things I can come up with why the fail are:
    1. Brake fluid is no good and has water in it. I doubt this is the case since I had a defective caliper leak about 3 months ago and replaced what was mostly in the master at that time and THEN the other caliper failed. In course of bleeding the brakes and replacing calipers and wheel cylinders I had to have flushed it all out by now too

2. The sand I frequently drive in or perhaps water is bypassing the seals. In some cases I noticed the boots were torn somehow or another on the pistons.

3. Junk reman parts...

I've been happy with the T100 Eclipse calipers that I got from NAPA, the Autocrap one took a dump within a year. IIRC the the NAPA Eclipse calipers were right around $50 (+ core) and come painted gloss black with all new hardware & anti-rattle clips. Maybe give them a try next time around . . . probably wouldn't be a bad idea to flush all the fluid while you're at it, do it the lazy way and just let them gravity bleed for a little while.
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

I just replaced 3 calipers on three different vehicles (two 4th gens and a FJ, common issue for those)

I think its just a common Toyota problem, cause I think I have a caliper starting to stick myself.

I ran Dot 4 fluid for a while and everything was fine, but recently had to replace an axle seal and somehow got extensive amount of air in the system and pretty much flushed the system back to Toyota Dot 3 fluid and thats when this problem started.

I would replace the calipers with what Keith is suggesting, he goes through a lot of crap and his are still hanging in there.

I am sure the sand you drive through has a little to do with the boot going and thats where it might be failing.

But replace the caliper and do the lazy man flush like he suggested, walmart has the Dot4 fluid if your interested in trying that.

Just my .0

If they go again thats what Im gonna do guys, think DOT4 might do the trick and ill go to napa and hand them mine and get a set of theirs.

Lets just see how long they both take to fail this time.

I still dont understand how or why the boots tear unless the pads shifting around and causing it. But by now I have a collection of pins and springs for holding them things in and I also lube the pins with some brake caliper lube to be sure they dont bind.

Guess we shall see, thanks for the suggestions.

What do you put on the back of the pads and the shims?
    Do you use that red stuff that hardens?

If so don't.
    Only use this stuff between the back of the pad and the shims:
    https://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/C...303_0006558601

You can use that on the slide pins too, but I would just use this:
    https://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/C...351_0282476158

I found the cars that come in needing brakes with the red stuff on it usually need a caliper, don't know why but they usually do, and that red stuff gets everywhere and makes it so hard to get the pad out or off.

Also this is the brake fluid I used:
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Prestone-B...-12oz/16817508

Yea now that you mentioned it I have used the red stuff in the past-but not always iirc. I dont usually use the shims either, the one time I got them from toyota and use the toyota grease on them-made no difference-still locked up.

This is what I use on the caliper pins: http://www.permatex.com/products/Aut..._Lubricant.htm

I use the red stuff (it used to be blue) and I have no issues. I think the issue with it is when people put it on the pads, and then stick it all together and toss em in the calipers. You need to give it about 10 min setup time before you assemble everything. I use Toyota stock calipers, autocrap cheapie lifetime warranty brake pads (FREE FOR LIFE), the red goo (if I use any at all) and the cheap little tear open packet of caliper pin grease from vato zone.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast