Thread: 3G 4runner brake issues

3G 4runner brake issues

Hi all
    I am having problems with my brakes on my runner, I can barely stop, no lock up or abs engagement
    I have replaced rear wheel cylinders, new rotors and drums, a nd rebuilt the master cylinder, all Toyota parts.
    I have bled the system several times and adjusted the rear brakes.
    Also, no leaks in the power booster.
    I have the larger 16" wheels.
    Any advise?
    97 runner, elocker, lifted and a few other things

Re: 3G 4runner brake issues

are you SURE the rears are adjusted? 3-4 clicks on the ebrake is what it should take to get it tight.

how are you bleeding the system? if pumping, dont go all the way to the floor on each pump.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

You talked about the rear brakes mostly.
    Have you checked the front calipers to see if they are locked up?
    A lot of times I have experienced this on trucks I have pulled in the shop, usually a caliper is locked up

See this video http://forum.ih8mud.com/95-gen-toyot...nner-help.html
    I had to spread the calipers out pretty wide to see if they were sticking

see below
    Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz
    are you SURE the rears are adjusted? 3-4 clicks on the ebrake is what it should take to get it tight.
    I have been going by the FSM about 7-9 clicks
    how are you bleeding the system? if pumping, dont go all the way to the floor on each pump.
    Block of wood behind pedal, after rebuilding the master, I believe it has a safety stop to prevent u from ruining it.

Have you done the rubber hoses yet? I presume you have the extended braided line for the rear?

I noticed a difference when I changed out my old weak lines.

How much weight do you carry in your runner?
    I did a test yesterday loaded up and I couldn't get mine to lock up and I have the Bigger Tundra calipers.

Unloaded I can get them to chirp before ABS kicks in and then just make the braking system suck.

I mean you have replaced everything short of the ABS module which at this point i would just tell you to disconnect it and see if that makes your braking power any more.

yes, I replaced the lines up front as well , all braided steel
    Quote Originally Posted by YotaFun
    Have you done the rubber hoses yet? I presume you have the extended braided line for the rear?

I noticed a difference when I changed out my old weak lines.

How much weight do you carry in your runner?Well with bumpers, winch, skid plate, and spare stuff easy 500lbs

I did a test yesterday loaded up and I couldn't get mine to lock up and I have the Bigger Tundra calipers.

Unloaded I can get them to chirp before ABS kicks in and then just make the braking system suck.

I mean you have replaced everything short of the ABS module which at this point i would just tell you to disconnect it and see if that makes your braking power any more.

Have you power bled your brakes yet? If not, I would start with that first and make 100% sure you have all the air out of the system.

DIY power bleeder:
    http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.ph...=26&topic=1726

Once you've eliminated all possibility of air, then you can start looking at other possibilities.

• Adjustment of rear shoes (very common)
    • Slider pins (lube)
    • Master cylinder
    • Sticking front calipers
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

you still have air in the lines, it's a major PITA to get it out, I eventually had to loosen every connecting point in the system and bleed it one at a time using a pressure bleeder. Very messy, but I finally got my brakes back.
    99 SR5 4Runner Highlander 5spd V6 4WD e-locker<br />Myspace<br />3rd Gen Bumper Build-up<br />1GR-FE 4.0L V-6 &amp; RA60F 6-speed for my project vehicle<br /><br /><br />Don&#039;t Ask when I&#039;m gonna go SAS, I&#039;m not... I&#039;ll build a buggy first!