Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How have you improved yourself and what have you accomplished in 2011?

How have you improved yourself and what have you accomplished in 2011?

The last 12 months have gone by in a flash, but a lot can be done in that amount of time. Tell us what you've done to improve yourself and what have you accomplished that you're proud of.

I'll start.
    1. I've improved my photography skills a lot in the 1 year that I've had my dslr. I have the technical aspects down, but developing the artistic side is harder for me. That's what I'm still working on.

2. I believe my handgun handling skills have improved since I've moved up from D class to B class at the informal local steel matches. For 2012, I'll be on my way to shooting in real, sanctioned matches...maybe.

3. They say it takes 5 years to become fully productive in a new job and I'm starting to feel comfortable in that regard too. However, I still learn something new everyday and that's a good thing.

We'll see what 2012 brings.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Re: How have you improved yourself and what have you accomplished in 2011?

another year closer to being done with school

got married!

learned how to lay floor tile

built a working 3d printer

thats what comes to mind. its been a busy and productive year...
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I picked up a few home improvement skills this year.
    - youtube taught me how to service an HVAC unit
    - took a class offered by my City on native plants for a landscaping project
    - figured out how to build LED light fixtures powered from 115V AC current for eave lighting
    - electrician friend taught me how to install recessed lighting
    - constructed a backyard bench from redwood
    - father taught me how to trim-out house windows

I probably forgot more stuff than I learned though, haha.

- Supposedly I am becoming more patient with people, it's being heavily tested right now though.
    - Learning Pain Management.
    - Learning Stress Management.
    - Becoming better at being a "Boss".
    - I am managing to be, as people keep putting it, "A Great Dad".
    - Gradjamatated with a Collemege Edschumukatchun.
    - Returned to the Automotives Field, not sure if it counts as an "Accomplishment" yet.

Let's see....

1. Lost and so far have kept off about 40 lbs.
    2. Managed to break all my vehicles in some way and once almost had them all down at the same time. Have had 3 out of the 4 down multiple times though...

3. Also have managed to break/wore out tools this year too... Cement mixer finally fully gave up, coil roofing nail gun broke (this will be replaced soon because nailing 60+ nails per hardi sheet by hand gets old fast), and had a tile saw down for awhile that I finally just fixed.

So, yeah, pretty much the weight loss LOL!
    My signature

You even broke the tacoma?
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Well it got a flat tire (tire ended up not being able to be patched), and now it has two tires with slow leaks and no spare. Need to try to get some new tires this week (these are the original tires, so it's time for new ones anyway). One week went like this...Monday morning-flat tire on the tacoma. Tuesday morning-flat tire on the van. Tuesday afternoon- 4runner headgasket blew. Thursday morning- Van died.

It's to the point now, that I just laugh when things break. Since then the Ford has broken down twice and developed a nasty exhaust leak at the manifold. Last one, I had to change the starter at a gas station....
    My signature

This year has been a roller coast of events.

I have become a flat rate technician, and am now honing those flat rate skills and learning more interesting ways to make a difficult job much more easier.

I have become more comfortable with who I am as a person and have not let it hold me back as much as I have before, In turn this has helped me make a lot more friends and work far more enjoyable.

Became single again, kind of a downer, but it was for the best, both of us needed to find what was best for us, so sort of a self improvement in that I am really trying to find what suits me, and not what everyone else wants of me. I know this is a bit selfish, but I feel if I can't be happy with myself I can't make someone else happy.

My off-road driving skills have improved as well as my confidence.
    I find myself leading more, picking harder lines and not using the locker as much.
    I am not afraid of dents anymore.

I wrecked my Camry this past month, but am in the process of getting it together, while it was a unfortunate event, it is helping me learn how do do body work as well as change a few things to make the car more of what I wanted originally (changing a few things to make it an SE model instead of the LE)

Hmmm... this is a good way to make me look at things positively, as I tend to be rather harsh with myself! Let's see here...

* Stood up to idiots who put the wrong oil in my beloved Betty.

* Lost a few pounds, gained it back, lost it again... and probably gained it back again BUT, I'm much more comfortable in my own skin than I used to be.

* Started running - something I never thought I could do. I hit my "2 in 22" goal.

* Completed 2 more semesters at CLU - one more and I'm DONE!

* Became a geology TA.

* Stuck it out at Haagen-Dazs, when I so desperately want to quit.

* Finally got a bash-proof camera. I love it.

* Like YotaFun, I too have become more comfortable with who I am. And I'll agree with his "if I can't be happy with myself, I can't make someone else happy" statement. It's not selfish at all!

* In that note, I too became single again... it's been rough at times, but after almost a year, I'm learning what I need to be on my own, in order to be the best I can be.

* Hiked in the GRAND CANYON.

* There's probably more, but this is already a long list. :P
    [b] -Bekah <br />.=. It&#39;s not the fall that hurts, it&#39;s that stop at the end .=.

Somewhere we're all forgetting, well, except Steve who specifically mentioned this in a way..

"I took a s#!t-ton of sick pictures and shared them with family, loved ones, and friends."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast