Thread: Transfer case question

Transfer case question

So being stuck at work doing nothing has been making me lurk the forums more and more, getting ideas for the direction the Runner is going, and so on.

In reading up on my 5 spd swap I was looking at the ratios of the transmissions and seeing that the first gear is lower on the manual then the auto I was thinking, w00t! score!

But then a friend of mine who has the manual but as also driven my auto and felt that my low range was lower then his.

So my question is, Is the low gear ratio different from the manual to the auto transfer cases to account for the different first gear ratio?

If thats the case I would probably want to mate the t-case from my auto to my manual.

I have searched with no clear answer but wasn't sure if anyone else may have come across it.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Transfer case question

The torque converter is probably the reason the auto "feels" like it's lower.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Thats what i figured but always good to ask

Ill tell ya what tho, driving mine vs a 4runner or taco its interesting. Combined with the 4.30 gears and whatever ratios are in the trans and t-case (im positive its different) my low range is literally crawling speed easy-I know Avys felt it and Im sure he would agree somethings different between the T100 and everything else. hell my general driving the gearing is way low.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX