Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2004 Tacoma 3.4 Fluid/Engine/??? Help. ASAP

2004 Tacoma 3.4 Fluid/Engine/??? Help. ASAP

Okay guys, was out and about today and everything was fine, I came out from the bookstore, and when I cranked it up, it made a strange noise, which we all know is never good.
    Sort of clanking noise, almost like dry metal on metal or something, but there was no grinding or anything like that. I immediately shut it down and popped the hood, "fluid" all over the skid plate. Definitely not oil. 1/2 qt low on oil, pretty normal for me. Checked power steering fluid, but the dipstick looks pretty okay to me. Checked the trans dipstick and its full... I had it towed home, pulled it in the garage, still making the noise. Once turned off, if I try to start it it started then died, and then wouldn't start back. Haven't tried again, didnt want to push it.
    Then I got to work, I took the skid plates off and no clear indicators of where its coming from. Fluid on most everything on the bottom from just behind the radiator all the way back to the cross member. Pulled the inspection plate off the front of the trans and to my delight everything in there was bone dry. I took a lot of pictures and will offer them up for you guys to review. Give me any and all thoughts. Need them, and need them, like, yesterday.

Reply here. If you have any SOLID ideas or think you have it NAILED, call me or text me.
    404.four two one. 1487
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

Re: 2004 Tacoma 3.4 Fluid/Engine/??? Help. ASAP

More Pictures.

-Chris
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.

MORE pics.

This one is first finger from power steering dipstick, second finger from under the truck. Looks like they match to me...
    -Chris

Its coolant Chris.
    Pull the top radiator hose off and take the timing cover off.
    I am willing to bet that your water pump just seized on you.
    and once it gets tight that starter can't handle it.

Yeah, I was just about to say, check your coolant and I bet it's your WP!
    My signature

if it isn't coolant, check trans fluid. the power steering uses atf. could have burst one of the trans cooler lines.

the trans cooler lines run on the passenger side. check those lines, especially the pressure one. a split in that would spray atf everywhere.

what was the level of the ps fluid? could also be a ps fluid leak in the pressure line from pump to rack.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Only reason I don't think it is a trans line or power steering line issue is due to the fact he can't start the truck now.
    If the pump was locked up on the ps it would just squeal the belt till it breaks.
    I can't see that the trans went from just sitting in place so I don't thing the pump in the trans went either.

Looks to be water pump... WIll update in AM. Keep any more ideas coming!
    -Chris

Just by the pics of the fluid pattern, it really looks like wp. In one pic, the lower front of the engine is where it looks like the fluid starts, and the only thing down there that isn't super obvious like a hose or something, would be the WP
    My signature

Whats it smell like? Obvious coolant smell points to WP imho.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast