Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me choose a rig for my family of 5

Help me choose a rig for my family of 5

Hey Guys,

I currenlty have a 99 4runner and it fits the wife, two kiddos (1 and 3 years old) and the dog pretty well. Kiddo #3 is NOT offically on the way yet, but we've been talking about having another one in the next year. We cannot fit 3 car seats in the 4runner so I'm looking for some advice on something larger.

What do guys suggest?

Erich
    -Erich
    99' Black Highlander 4runner / Garage Profile / Black P/C 8x16 Wheeler Off-Road alloy wheels / Husky floor liners / Thule MOAB Rack
    Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

Re: Help me choose a rig for my family of 5

fzj80 or 100 series land cruiser would get my vote. still amazingly capable, toyota quality, and 3 rows, with those cool fold up jump seats in the rear, so you can maintain
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

We don't have a dog but we have a 2.5 year old and one on the way and I can already tell you my '99 3rd gen is too small. Just a weekend trip fills the interior. A weekend camping trip or week long trip requires stuff to go on the roof or one the back in a cargo basket. I'm a total bare bones kind of guy when it comes to packing and my wife is more of a kitchen sink gal. I'd say we pack at about a happy medium and the 3rd gen is only so big.

Even without traveling we find it nice to have a larger vehicle. 95% of our friends are our age and also have kids so having something large enough, even to hold one extra kid and adult ain't gonna happen in either of our cars.

I'd love to get a GX470. A couple of problems with that though. They are much bigger than our Subaru and 4runner but don't have a ton more space in them, although they have a 3rd row seat. It's a V8 with AWD which would be driven on the streets for 99% of the miles by my wife. And last, it's be another vehicle I'd want to throw money at to build up which means the 3rd gen would go.

In the end we'll probably get a minivan as practical as they are. People without kids hate them with a passion but it's understandable, they don't have kids so I don't expect them to understand. My wife and I kind of want one but know we'd be totally stoked if we got one within the next 2 years.

Problem with getting something big enough to hold a family of 4-5 means large and gas hungry.

There are a few options here you can take.
    I am presuming you want to stick with Toyota which is a good thing imho.

I am going to take a guess that you want to stick with SUVs but I would just like to quickly mention another option before I dive into the different SUV options.

Alternate Option: How about keeping the 4Runner for your personal work horse, use it for your own trips you need to take and invest in an AWD Sienna.
    Pros:
    • More Storage Then Most 3 Row SUVs
    • Power Rear Hatch and Sliding Doors
    • Little Better On Gas

Cons:
    • No low range transfer case
    • Run-flat tires
    • Its a mini-van

As far as SUV's are concerned I will list them in order of what I think will be best to worst.
    Option #1: 2005-2007 Sequoia
    I love this generation Sequoia.
    Pros:
    • More powerful 4.7l with vvti
    • Multimode t-case like the Limited 99-00 4Runners (so 2WD available!)
    • Roll Down rear window
    • Nav option if you get a limited
    • Adjustable ride height on select limited models
    • Heated seats (limited modesl)
    • Most rear storage with 3rd row seat
    • The drive and feel of it reminds me of a 4th Gen 4Runner
    • The years I selected are Affordable and decently priced for what you get

Cons:
    • It is a V8, gas hog
    • All electronic transfer case (just personally don't like)
    • No locker option
    • Limited is what you want...

Option #2: 1996-97 FJ80
    Pros:
    • Two Engine Options both great
    • Most off-road capable
    • Second Most storage with third row seat
    • Drive is what you make of it, its a boat
    • Front and Rear Locker Option

Cons:
    • Limited Years You Want
    • Pricey for What you get
    • Older
    • Higher Mileage
    • AWD with low range
    • Hard to find period anymore (thank you cash for clunkers )

Option #3: 2005-2009 4Runner
    Pros:
    • Its Still a 4Runner
    • 4.0l V6 with vvt-i (plenty o power)
    • Same T-case as Sequoia
    • Roll Down Rear Window
    • Third best rear storage with 3rd Row Seat
    • The drive is great, no 3rd gen but still enjoyable

Cons:
    • Hard to find with the 3rd row
    • Stuck with just an SR5 with the 3rd row option
    • All electronic transfer case (just personally don't like)
    • No Locker option
    • stuck with SR5

Option #4: 2005-2008 FJ100
    • 4.7l V8 with vvt-i
    • Secong most off-road capable
    • 4th most storage with third row seat
    • Drive is what you make of it, its a boat
    • Rear Locker Option
    • other off-road doodads (down hill assist and crawl selector)
    • rear hatch and tailgate option
    • Nav option if you get a limited
    • Adjustable ride height on select limited models
    • Heated seats (limited modesl)

Cons:
    • Pricey
    • v8 with AWD t-case
    • Seems either limited or the Lexus version are the only one you can find with a locker and are RARE
    • Toss up on mileage

I would go with a Sequoia personally, but hopefully more will chime in from owning, this is just from what I have gathered working on them

yeah i forgot to suggest the first gen sequoia. they are awesome, and id buy one in a heartbeat!

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

This one imho is perfect
    Mileage is high but the 4.7l has no problems, its like the V8 version of the 3.4l
    Do your normal routine maint and timing belt your good!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4X4-4...t_11597wt_1165

I think a 4th gen would fit our bill. For some reason they escaped me when I typed my response. We have a couple friends that have kids and Sequoias and they like them. There are 2 of the new body styled ones that I see at the local bike races. They have a small lift with slightly larger tires and they look great. They also come with a high price tag and gas bill.

Great info so far guys! Avy, thanks for the detailed break down, I'll research all of the suggestions. A sequoia would be sweet!

Erich
    -Erich
    99' Black Highlander 4runner / Garage Profile / Black P/C 8x16 Wheeler Off-Road alloy wheels / Husky floor liners / Thule MOAB Rack
    Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

for the first gen sequoia, they are hard to find.

a few years ago i was talking to the salesman at our unfriendly local Toyota dealer. We were looking at the 2nd gen Sequoia and not liking it at all. He was bright enough to pick up on that and said he could try to track us down a used 1st gen. He then told us about to separate incidents, one happening to him the other a coworker, where people buying a Prius and a Camry hybrid drove up in a sequoia. they each tried to talk them into trading in, both replies were basically "i wouldn't trade my 1st gen for a 2nd gen, even if you gave us money on top of it."

i have seen exactly 3 for sale in the last two years.

Would a Tacoma or 1st gen Tundra double cab be an option? A Tundra would for sure have enough space for 3 car seats, but not sure about the Tacoma. You could put a top on the back and have plenty of room for stuff.

Otherwise, the 100 series LC, 4th/5th gen 4Runner, GX470, Sequoia, are all great choices.

Minivans are really practical vehicles. Not the coolest thing to drive, but they are so great for traveling with kids. If I ever have 3+ kids, I'd probably get a minivan. The new Siennas are really nice too.

I think the new Highlander is bigger than a 3rd gen. They might be worth checking out too.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast